101 Goals Update – End of the year 2017 update
Well now that 2017 has come to an end, I thought I’d give an update on my progress. Since my last update, I have completed a few more goals on the list and have made some progress on other goals.
23. Hike 10 new trails. We tried out some new trails around our new place here in Michigan. We hiked the trails around St. Clair Metropark along the lake and through the nature trails there. We also hiked the George George Park trail, it crosses part of the Clinton River and had a swampy area perfect for frog and turtle spotting.
33. Bake bread from scratch. Cadence and I baked some gluten-free bread from scratch right before Christmas. We needed a gluten-free loaf of bread to be able to make our traditional special french toast for Christmas Day. The bread was really dense and not anything amazing so we’ll try a different recipe next year for the bread.
35. Make 3 Christmas gifts per a year. This year I made my sister, Katie, a cross stitch of London. Two years ago I made her a cross stitch of Pairs. I picked two cities she’s traveled and spent a lot of time in. Who knows which city I’ll make her next year. I also crocheted Cadence a scarf out of purple yarn she picked out earlier this year. And I crocheted some hats as gifts too.
36. Complete 10 sewing projects. Project 4: I made matching skirts and hair bows for the girls out of fabric that Cadence picked out. She chose a fabric with planets, one with constellations, and one with sugar skulls. Project 5: Halloween costumes for the girls! Cadence asked to be Leonardo DaVinci and for Harley to be Mona Lisa so I sewed them some robes and made Cadence a hat. Project 6: Then I decided that the girls needed trick-or-treat bags to collect their goodies in on Halloween. They were so easy to make and turned out really cute!
47. Host a holiday meal for our family. We had an early Christmas meal with my family when they came to visit us before Christmas. Since Griffin had to work that night (night shift problems), we ate at noon. We made the traditional Roy Christmas beef tenderloin and it was delicious and there were plenty of leftovers. Yum!
63. Watch the entire Star Wars series. This one was complete until The Last Jedi came out. Cadence and I went on a date during winter break with the intention of seeing Ferdinand, but it was sold out. Then Cadence saw the posters were for Star Wars and she turned to me and shouted, “The new Star Wars is out and you didn’t tell me?!?!?!?!?!” So yeah, we went and saw Star Wars and it was a great choice. We both really enjoyed it and highly recommend seeing it on the big screen and in the comfy, reclining movie theater seats.
64. Read 50 books. So….. I didn’t do very well with this one. I only completed one book and am halfway through at least 5 different books. In 2018, my goal is to finish the books I started haha The one book I did finish was In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware and it was a super suspenseful, thriller mystery and I had a really hard time putting it down.
66. Watch AFI’s Top 100 movies. I’ve made some good progress on this list since I started this challenge. I had only seen an embarrassingly few of the movies on this list (16/100). Thankfully our library has free movie rentals and has most of the movies on the list in their collection. Now thanks to Griffin’s late nights and night shifts, I’ve been able to catch up on a few more classics (35/100).
76. Complete Montessori certification. I completed my training this August and my official certification arrived in the mail in October! Yay! It came just in time for my promotion (aka the reason why I haven’t been posting much hah)
79. Pay for the next customer in line 10 times. Cadence and I were at the Secondhand Rose the other week and were blown away by how generous the employees were when a homeless man came in. We left money with the cashier to help pay for some clothes and shoes for the man and anyone else who came in and needed it later. It was a nice, concrete way to show Cadence the impact of giving to others. We talked about how good it made us feel helping out in our own small city and decided we would go back at least once a month to donate items we don’t need anymore and to give some money to help out customers in need.
83. Read one love/marriage book a year. I read Spousonomics and just finished it in the nick of time (12/31/17! I’ll have to add this to my 50 books list.) It was interesting reading about relationships from a different perspective using economical terms and concepts. I enjoy reading relationship books because they give me ideas to reflect on.
That brings the tally to 27/101 goals completed and 26/74 currently in progress! I’m a year and 1/2 into my challenge and have a year and 3 months to complete the rest of the items on my list. We are planning to get some of our travel goals completed in the next year, but we probably won’t be able to complete them all with the time we have left and Griffin’s crazy schedule. Hoping to complete a bunch of goals off this list this year!
Happy 2018 everyone!